For our patients with Hypertension in Macon, Central Georgia Heart center takes a multi-pronged approach to management. This can include diet, medication, exercise and more. When we get to the heart, no pun intended, of the problem it can not only relieve symptoms but also stop a disease in its tracks. Early care can make the difference, our cardiologists highly recommend that each patient seeks early treatment as soon as the symptoms begin to appear. The number one, and often only initial sign is abnormal or high blood pressure. Other symptoms could indicate a hypertensive crisis which is a serious condition.
The symptoms of a hypertensive crisis
• Severe Headaches that come on suddenly
• Sudden anxiety or tightness in chest
• Shortness of breath
If you are experiencing 2 or more of these symptoms seek medical help immediately.
How To Keep Hypertension From A Crisis:
• Losing Weight- Being obese can trigger hypertension rather quickly. Just a few weeks of weight loss can take your heart back to a normal level.
• Smoking causes severe damage to the heart with every cigarette. In just the first 24 hours after you quit smoking, your heart rate lowers, peripheral circulation improves, carbon monoxide levels decrease and oxygen levels increase, and your risk for heart attack drops.
• Aerobic exercise can teach your heart to manage stress better. During a normal day, events cause spikes and drops in your heart rate, especially if you lead a high-stress job. Exercise works your heart muscle significantly making it more efficient and lowering hypertension or high blood pressure.
Drugs That Treat Hypertension
• ACE Inhibitors
• Calcium Channel Blockers
• And a combination of medications
Your doctor will run tests to determine which course of treatment is best for you blood pressure. Feel your heart could use some extra care? Contact us here for an appointment with the best cardiologists in Macon, Ga.